Why The “Certification of Municipality”?
Because you as a municipality,
- need a space for refinement, introduction and development of “Participatory Budget” and “Participation Mechanisms”.
- Will share international experience;
- Will improve your competence and skills in the field of participation;
- acquire supporters, associates and be in constant communication with colleagues, and experts;
- Will receive a certificate;
- Will become more transparent, accountable and innovative;
- Will create more perspective for the development of your own municipality;
- activate participatory processes;
- plan result-oriented activities;
- Will receive practical advice tailored to reality by highly qualified experts;
- Will have the opportunity to develop a “Participatory Budget” and include the “Participation Mechanisms”;
- Increase the awareness of the municipality at the national and international levels;
- Will have the opportunity to actively involve the population in the decision-making process;
How to start the certification process?
For successful certification:
- It is necessary for the municipality to have a “Participatory Budget”, and all the necessary stages for its implementation must comply with the standards of the “Participatory Budget” in Georgia.
- A municipality wishing to be certified must get acquainted with the C1 form;
- Must apply to Solidarity Fund PL Georgia;
- Must fill out application forms;
- Wait for confirmation of the start of the process;
- Confirmation will be followed by a series of emails, with the details of: instructions for filling out the form; deadlines for filling in and submitting the application;
- Results will be announced according to a predetermined date;
- Each applicant will be informed via email;
Which are the successful municipalities that already have certificates?
In 2019, for the first time in Georgia, the certification of municipalities was held at the initiative of the Solidarity Fund PL. Certificates were awarded to the following successful municipalities: Sighnaghi, Ozurgeti, Gori, Tskaltubo, Zugdidi, Kutaisi, Batumi, Akhaltsikhe.
If the municipality has successfully passed the certification and received the certificate, can it participate again?
The certificate is issued for 1 year, therefore the municipality can participate again.
What standards must a municipality meet to receive a certificate?
- A municipality must meet the standards and principles of the “Participatory Budget” in Georgia. [hyperlink participatoryhub.pl/resource center/PB standards in Georgia.pdf]
Can we offer other municipalities to be involved in the certification process?
- Of course yes. Anyone can offer to another municipality to get involved in the certification process.
- The municipality invited to receive the relevant certificate must go through the procedures established for certification.
What are the necessary costs related to financing and retraining?
- The “Certification of Municipality” is free. The selected municipality is exempt from all costs associated with the process;
- If necessary (travel, hotel, meals, etc.) are covered by the Solidarity Fund PL Georgia
What are the decision criteria?
Compliance of the participatory budget with the standards;
Participation in the process, project submission and degree of involvement;
Evaluation of the use of participatory mechanisms;
Readiness and desire of the municipality for the introduction and development of the participatory budget.
Who makes the final decision?
The final decision is made by the Inter-Agency Consortium, which was established to ensure and improve the ongoing PB process in Georgia, at the initiative of the Solidarity Fund PL Georgia.
What opportunities does a successful certification give you?
- The municipality will become more transparent, accountable and innovative;
- Activate participatory processes;
- Share international experience;
- You will have the opportunity to develop a “Participatory Budget” and include “Participation Mechanisms”;
- You will create more perspective to your own municipality for development;
The result of the certification is: Active Citizens – Strong Municipality.